The Senior Estimator is the primary member of the estimating team who has overall responsibility for the creation of budgets and estimates produced. The Senior Estimator is responsible for the oversight of the estimating team and the estimating process for all projects bid and awarded, and will establish standardized procedures, methods and processes for estimating and training estimating resources in the use of the same. The Senior Estimator manages and coordinates the people, software and other resources used to perform the estimating functions.
- Reviews and evaluates requests for estimates then assigns responsibilities of estimating team for each project.
- Prepares weekly bid calendar and ensures timely completion of estimates.
- Reviews estimates and revisions for completeness and accuracy.
- Coordinates insurance requirements internally.
- Reviews construction documents and understands scope of work to bid.
- Executes take-offs of construction documents, either electronically, paper plans, or from the field.
- Inputs take-offs into HCSS software platform.
- Solicits and negotiates favorable pricing for materials on a per job or annual account basis while staying aware of current market fluctuations.
- Solicits and negotiates bids from subcontractors or vendors when applicable.
- Prepares cost analysis in HCSS software platform by recapitulating material, labor, equipment, subcontractor and overhead costs incurred in the installation of items.
- Makes an estimate where predetermined standard(s) are not available by incorporating value engineering methods.
- Manage observed inaccuracies or omissions in quoted items or computer database.
- Develops and maintains resource database on products, vendors, subcontractors, government requirements, etc.
- Attends departmental meetings as required.
- Photocopies documents and plans.
- Prepare weekly comprehensive reporting of divisional estimating performance and forecast.
- Participate in collaborative daily/weekly/monthly internal pre-construction meetings, work on hand meetings, and project handoff strategies with the Operations Manager.
- Analyze production results and formulate data for historic database development.
- Supervises and trains estimating staff to produce quality bids that adhere to Rabine’s pricing metrics.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Be proficient in all computer software programs used in estimating with emphasis on HCSS software platform.
- Possess strong mathematical and computer skills. Proficiency with all MS Office products
- Expertise in one or more areas of heavy civil
- Ability to breakdown construction operations into a logical sequence of activities
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to professionally communicate the basis for individual work product when in a highly stressed environment
- Ability and willingness to abide by the Rabine Group’s Core Values and policies on a daily basis.
- Must be able to meet deadlines and put in the time needed to get the job done.
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Must be willing to travel.
- Candidates must possess a strong work ethic.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal skills.
- Good attention to detail with the ability to recognize discrepancies.
Education and Experience
College Degree in Construction Management or Engineering preferred or ten or more years of heavy civil construction estimating experience in a senior position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice
This position has supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The noise level in the work environment is moderately quiet.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move objects up to 10 pounds and frequently lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full time position. Hours to be available to customers, vendors and other employees are generally 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM, however, actual work hours may vary and remain flexible based on peak/off-peak demand. Saturday work hours are to be worked on a need basis with respect to personal work load, employee time management and assistance required for team success.
Some travel is expected for this position.
The Rabine Group and its companies is an equal opportunity employer.
Contact Number: 888-722-4633
Salary Type: Per Year
Salary Range: Negotiable