SENIOR CIVIL SITEWORK ESTIMATOR
The Senior Estimator reports directly to the Chief Estimator and their primary role is to provide comprehensive estimates by analyzing all bid documents for civil site work primarily in the private commercial market in Connecticut and Hudson Valley area of New York State. Duties include, but are not limited to, fully familiarizing themselves with all bid documents, working with Takeoff Technicians and Estimating Engineers to produce thorough estimates, establishing bid items of work, setting productions rates, crew sizes in the HeavyBid estimating system, and helping to develop the overall strategy and structure of the estimate.
Duties and responsibilities
- Evaluating all bid specifications, drawings and all related documents to ensure a complete and comprehensive scope of work.
- Evaluate earthwork information from Agtek take-offs and analyze quantities and geo-technical information.
- Be knowledgeable of earthwork, foundations, deep excavations, shoring and structural concrete, rock removal, material management, storm and sanitary sewer systems, underground utilities, hardscapes, paving, miscellaneous concrete and all other aspects of commercial site work.
- Develop the bid strategy with an emphasis on defining and exploiting AMEC’s strategic advantages.
- Attend pre-bid meetings if necessary.
- Identify labor, material and time requirements required to perform work.
- Comprehensive knowledge of crew composition, production rates and material requirements including waste and yield factors.
- Review proposals from subcontractors and suppliers in HeavyBid.
- Responsible for all aspects of taking off projects and working closely with Estimating Engineers and Takeoff Technicians to ensure complete and accurate estimates.
- Identify risk issues and their order of magnitude.
- Interaction with clients, suppliers and subcontractors before, during and after bid development and submission to develop lasting relationships.
- Provide and review all estimates with Chief Estimator.
- Communicate regularly with other AMEC employees to develop winning bids and promote supplier, subcontractor and client relationships.
- Analyze costs, profitability, scope and nature of work to be performed.
- Market Awareness: Includes a comprehensive knowledge of the geographic and psychographic characteristics of AMEC’s target market.
- Post bid award duties including but limited to: Subcontractor and supplier pricing evaluations, completing relevant owner required documentation, project budget setup, assist in conforming estimates for transition to project management and accounting systems.
- Follow up with clients post bid.
- Review pre-job and initial project schedules
- Primary responsibility to execute hand off meetings with Project Management for successful bids
- Miscellaneous duties as required.
- Education: Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Construction Management or Civil Engineering, or equivalent related work experience.
- Experience: Minimum of ten years of working as a Civil Site Estimator or Senior Civil Site Estimator.
- Specialized knowledge: Proficient in all computer software programs used in estimating with particular emphasis on HCSS estimating and project management software, HeavyBid and HeavyJob.
- Expertise in multiple areas of heavy civil construction.
- Skills: Must be able to meet deadlines and put essential time in to get the job done. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Must have strong work ethic, be well organized and possess a strong attention to detail.
- Abilities: Ability to break down construction operations in to a logical sequence of activities and translate those activities to bid items in HeavyBid.
- Ability to work in a team environment and to communicate in a professional manner.
- Willing and able to abide by AMEC Construction, LLC policies and procedures on a daily basis.
- Possess strong mathematical and computer skills. Proficiency with all MS Office products (Word, Excel, Project, Access, PowerPoint). Familiarity with Bluebeam and/or Oasis is a plus.
Work is primarily inside. Office location is Norwalk, Connecticut. Requirements may include being outside in all weather conditions.
Ability to stand or walk for long periods, use arms and hands to reach for, handle and manipulate objects, lift and carry materials weighing up to 50 pounds. Climb up and down ladder, scaffolds, and other objects. Stoop, kneel, crouch, and/or crawl.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Contact Number: 203 557-1821
Salary Type: Per Week
Salary Range: Negotiable