Reports to: Senior Estimator
Benefit Classification: Salary Exempt
Education Requirements: Four-year construction/engineering degree or equivalent combinations of technical training and/or related hands-on overhead transmission/distribution and substation construction experience.
Experience: A minimum two (2) years of electrical estimating in medium to high voltage work, with an emphasis and concentration on overhead transmission and substation construction. Knowledge of estimating techniques, cost control, and material pricing is required. Experience with estimating software (HCSS) is highly desirable.
Position Summary: The Estimator is responsible for coordination of bidding procedures, bid accuracy and technical compliance. The Estimator will analyze electrical design, specifications, owner RFPs, prepare subcontract RFP’s, review subcontractor and supplier quotes and other documentation to prepare time, cost, labor and material estimates as part of project proposals. This position has an Electrical focus, which includes include overhead transmission/distribution and substation construction.
Essential Job Functions
• Participate in preconstruction review of proposal specifications and drawings to determine scope of work and required contents of estimate.
• Prepare accurate quantity surveys and estimates for transmission and substation projects.
• Complete assignments in agreed upon time frame and in the format requested.
• Attend project meetings and perform site investigations as assigned.
• Utilizes company estimating system to develop bid package and follows company guidelines, systems, policies and procedures.
• Prepare vendor proposal comparisons and estimate summary sheets.
• Research historical data (purchase orders, subcontracts, productivity analysis, etc.) and compile summary reports to develop guidelines and precedence for estimating self-performed work.
• Maintain files of working documents for back up to estimating figures, including current (accurate) information on prices from suppliers through direct contact, sales brochures, price lists, etc.
• Monitor proposed estimates with actual cost data.
• Review design options and through collaboration with Engineers, recommend best solution based on cost, quality or availability of materials.
• Consults with clients, vendors, subcontractors or other individuals to discuss and formulate estimates, schedule work activities, and resolve issues.
• Provide a resource to other estimating team members to coordinate and answer questions.
• Develop scope narratives, clarifications, and qualifications for clearly written client proposals.
• Provide assistance to Project management team during construction planning meeting, reviewing estimate details and providing insight to assumptions, methods, and risks.
• Willingness to accept additional duties and responsibilities, as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Possess traits that consistently demonstrate behaviors aligned with Blattner’s corporate culture.
• Self-motivated, works well with others, processes a positive attitude, provides quality customer service, creates customer satisfaction, and works productively. • Advanced knowledge of construction estimating techniques, cost- control, and proper scheduling of purchases and work.
• Ability to effectively work and accomplish responsibilities with minimal direct supervision.
• Capacity to read and understand engineering drawings, purchase orders, contracts, and cost coding systems.
• Ability to build strong internal and external relationships, focusing on a “team” concept.• Effective verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to multi-task and work well under changing conditions on a variety of projects, working accurately and quickly under pressure.
• Strong leadership and conflict management skills required
• Excellent organizational, decision making, and problem-solving skills
• Valid Class C driver’s license with an acceptable driving record is required.
• Position requires travel as necessary.
• The estimator position has a High Voltage Electrical focus; however, we desire to cross train our employees so that people can support other scopes of work. It is expected that the individual be willing and able to work in alternate scopes of work or focuses both in and outside of the Electrical field.
Salary Type: Per Year
Salary Range: Negotiable