Responsibilities / Job Purpose
Perform owner’s representation duties for large site work construction projects throughout the United States, including managing contractor progress and performance, coordinating dry utility installation, ensuring compliance with project drawings and specifications, managing approvals from applicable regulatory agencies, and regularly communicating project status to the client. Projects are primarily heavy civil (earthwork, underground utilities, roadwork), but will also include some minor light commercial buildings. Position requires frequent (weekly) overnight travel (2-3 days/week) to various locations.
- Ensure projects are completed on time, on budget, and as specified in project documents (drawings and specifications).
- Understand construction methods and technologies, contracts and technical drawings.
- Review project specific drawings, client standards, and expectations, and ensure completed field work is in accordance.
- Responsible for obtaining necessary permits and licenses, coordinating reviews and approvals with regulatory agencies as needed.
- Document activities during the construction process, including preparing minutes and photos whenever onsite and drafting bi-weekly client updates.
- Proactively identify opportunities that reduce cost, accelerate the schedule, or improve quality for our client.
- Identify changes in project scope and negotiate competitive pricing for owner’s approval.
- Manage dry utilities (electric, gas, cable), including securing necessary paperwork for client approval, to meet project schedule.
- Maintain positive relationships with clients, contractors, design consultants, regulatory agencies, and dry utility providers during the construction process.
- Work with design professionals (architects, engineers) to ensure compliance with project documents and evaluate design changes.
- Consult with the project design engineer and/or architect to resolve conflicts or unforeseen conditions in a timely and economical manner.
- Communicate closely with client’s local site managers to manage expectations and understand concerns.
- Ensure Atwell Director of Construction is immediately aware of any changes to project schedule or budget.
- Review monthly payment applications and ensure compliance with contracts, specifically including field work completed.
- Manage suppliers and subcontractors to offer high quality, timely performance, and competitive pricing.
- Other duties as determined by the manager to meet client’s expectations.
Skills & Knowledge / Education & Experience
- Three plus years of experience in construction management.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Deadline driven and skilled at time management
- Ability to independently apply fundamental engineering concepts to practical situations.
- Experience in civil engineering and site improvements projects.
- Experience with light commercial or residential building construction preferred.
Salary Type: Per Year
Salary Range: Negotiable