The Civil Sitework Estimator reports directly to the Chief Estimator and their primary role is to provide comprehensive estimates by analyzing all bid documents for civil site work primarily in the private commercial market in Connecticut and Hudson Valley area of New York State. Duties include, but are not limited to, fully familiarizing themselves with all bid documents, working with Takeoff Technicians and Estimating Engineers to produce thorough estimates, establishing bid items of work, setting productions rates, crew sizes in the HeavyBid estimating system, and helping to develop the overall strategy and structure of the estimate.
Duties and responsibilities
• Evaluating all bid specifications, drawings and all related documents to ensure a complete and comprehensive scope of work.
• Evaluate earthwork information from Agtek take-offs and analyze quantities and geo-technical information.
• Be knowledgeable of earthwork, foundation excavation, deep excavations, shoring and structural concrete, rock removal, material management, storm and sanitary sewer systems, underground utilities, hardscapes, paving, miscellaneous concrete and all other aspects of commercial site work.
• Develop the bid strategy with an emphasis on defining and exploiting AMEC’s strategic advantages.
• Attend pre-bid meetings and perform site visits to evaluate the work necessary.
• Identify labor, material and time requirements required to perform work.
• Solicit and review proposals from subcontractors and suppliers.
• Responsible for all aspects of taking off projects and working closely with Takeoff Technicians and Estimating Engineers.
• Identify risk issues and their order of magnitude.
• Interaction with suppliers, subcontractors and clients to develop lasting relationships.
• Provide all estimates as required and review with the Chief Estimator.
• Follow up with clients post bid.
• Prepare pre-job and initial project schedules
• Coordinate and execute hand off meetings with Project Management for successful bids
• Communicate regularly with other AMEC employees to develop winning bids, develop supplier, subcontractor and client relationships.
• Attend pre-bid meetings when applicable.
• Perform analysis of costs, profitability, scope and nature of work to be performed.
• Market Awareness: Includes a comprehensive knowledge of the geographic and psychographic characteristics of AMEC’s target market.
• Incorporate knowledge of crew composition, production rates and material requirements including waste and yield factors in estimates.
• Post bid award duties including but not limited to: Subcontractor and supplier pricing evaluations, completing relevant owner required documentation, project budget setup, assist in conforming estimates for transition to project management and accounting systems.
• Miscellaneous duties as required.
• Education: Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Construction Management or Civil Engineering, or equivalent related work experience.
• Experience: Minimum of five years working as a Civil Sitework Estimator
• Specialized knowledge: Proficient in all computer software programs used in estimating with particular emphasis on HCSS estimating software, HeavyBid. Expertise in multiple areas of heavy civil site work.
• Skills: Must be able to meet deadlines and put in the time essential to getting the job done.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills. Must have strong work ethic, be very organized and possess very strong attention to detail.
• Abilities: Ability to break down construction operations in to a logical sequence of activities. Ability to work in a team environment and to communicate in a professional manner.
• Possess strong mathematical and computer skills. Proficiency with all MS Office products (Word, Excel, Project, Access, PowerPoint).
• Ability and willingness to abide by AMEC Construction, LLC policies and procedures on a daily basis.
Work is primarily inside. Office location is Norwalk, Connecticut. Requirements may include being outside in all weather conditions, primarily for site visits and pre-bid meetings. Climb up and down ladder, scaffolds, and other objects. Stoop, kneel, crouch, and/or crawl.
Ability to stand or walk for long periods, use arms and hands to reach for, handle and manipulate objects, lift and carry materials weighing up to 50 pounds. Climb up and down ladder, scaffolds, and other objects. Stoop, kneel, crouch, and/or crawl.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Contact Number: 203 557-1821
Salary Type: Per Week
Salary Range: Negotiable