SpawGlass, a Texas-based commercial and civil contractor, has just created a position on the team as a Chief Civil Estimator to be based in San Antonio, TX or Houston, TX.
A Bit about Us
Our organization was founded in 1953 by Louis Spaw and Frank Glass, hence the name SpawGlass. With 10 offices across Texas, the company now has approximately 800 employees statewide and is 100 percent employee-owned with ownership open to all employees. Our DNA is comprised of five core values: Build Trust, Be Professional, Live Teamwork, Be Passionate and Think Like an Owner and our purpose is to provide our clients with the absolute best construction experience.
What Sets Us Apart
SpawGlass wants to invest in you and your future. We not only want to hire the best people; we also want to retain them. The average tenure of our workforce is 10 years – more than twice the median years of tenure in the construction industry nationwide.
- Manage and administer department functions including operating budgets, staffing, wage reviews, work assignments, performance evaluations, etc.
- Collaborate with corporate and project management to determine strategies, techniques and what type of projects to bid
- Review all final estimate packages and ensure they are accurate and complete, prior to formal quotation
- Participate in presentations to corporate management and clients – may be responsible for closing the sales cycle
- May provide technical assistance in negotiating contracts, change orders, etc.
- Assist in the preparation of studies, materials and methods, recommendations and cost estimates as required
- Investigate site before bid, identifying waste area, borrow area and dump sites
- Review design options and recommend best solution based on cost, engineering quality or availability of materials
- Review and incorporate historical data from purchase orders, subcontracts, productivity analysis reports, etc. into unit and manhour figures
- Determine critical path schedule and sequence of work
- Review terms and conditions of subcontractor and vendor quotes; serve as a liaison with subcontractors and vendors during the bidding process
- Review proposal specifications and drawings and attend pre-bid meetings, etc. to determine scope of work and required contents of estimate
- Visit project sites to observe construction methods
- Participate in project hand-off meetings; attend meetings with suppliers and subcontractors (as needed)
- Communicate and reinforce the company vision, values and goals
- Perform additional assignments as required
- Four-year engineering degree or equivalent combination of technical training and/or related experience
- 10+ years of civil construction estimating, cost control and/or engineering experience with the ability to estimate all types of civil projects/contracts, including earthwork, utilities, paving and concrete structures
- Experience with estimating software, including iSqFt and HCSS HeavyBid
- Extensive knowledge of corporate objectives impacting estimating, estimating techniques, engineering disciplines and cost control systems
- Advanced math and computer skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
SpawGlass is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Salary Type: Per Year
Salary Range: Negotiable